Something Recalled

Ed looked up at the skyline in the horizon, as the light of the moon shone on hundreds of windows in the distance. He recounted his day at his sister's studio to Ian.

'There had been nothing wrong the entire day. I left right after the two of you did. Being who I am, I tried to put last night's happenings behind me and take the day as brand new. Though that prospect did not last very long.
            'From the moment I drove into town, I knew that I had been followed for a few blocks already, though I didn't want to do anything for in case I was just being paranoid.
            'I parked my car right in front of the studio, got out and surveyed the area, though there were no car in sight. I suppose they had to know that her studio was located in a quiet street at the back of town.
            'Relieved, I started the car again and drove into the little parking area behind the building.
            '"Hey!" my sister called as she came out to greet me. I greet her back and told her to get inside while I went to the back and got my bow and quiver from the trunk.

'Once inside, she closed the door and locked it after my asking. Imagine the speed my heart started pumping as she gasped while I was hanging my coat! I turned around and saw what she saw.
            'Her whole office had been messed up and ravaged. Someone had gone through her things while she was out fetching me. Fortunately the paintings were all fine, being propped up against the back wall.
            '"Who would do this?" she said as she walked over to her things and started tidying up.
            '"Leave it be," I said and pulled her back against the door. "Stay here, I'm going to check some things out."
            'She stayed where I told her to, as I made my way around the office to the main area where she used to do her painting. Peeking around the corner, I heard a ruffling sound but couldn't see anything. I readied my bow just in case.
            'Just before I could take another step, a bullet whizzed by my head and hit the wall behind me. He was using a silenced pistol, unmarked as I later found out.
            'I fell to the floor and drew, waited a few moments before sticking my hand out. When nothing happened, I turned the corner and shot an arrow in the direction he had ducked after firing at me.
            'A slight, feminine "oomph" could be heard right before a few more footsteps, and a sudden crash. I hurried from cover to cover and saw the culprit struggling to get the front door open. Unfortunately she noticed me right after I pulled the arrow back, so she opted to jump through the display window instead and ran off down the road. Fortunately she left a trail of wet footsteps and a small bit of blood behind.
            'I pursued, but lost her behind a building a block away. I heard a car drive off in the distance but had to check back on my sister, who was fine by the time I got back.'

Ed sighed as he took a sip of the coffee he had prepared right before attempting to write. Ian figured that it was probably cold already.
            "I had the blood traced by use of Hugo's higher-up-contacts at the Private Security Firm that he works at. Still no match as of thirty minutes ago."
            "Others take themselves," Ian then echoed, "they've gotten better."
            "And more sneaky," Ed added and took another sip. "Well, at least my date went well. Turns out Aaliyah is a huge fan of the Lions. Go figure."
            Ian smiled and stood up, "yeah well, they still can't play for shit," he said and patted Ed on the shoulder, "Goodnight, man."
            "Same to you, dude," Ed replied and finished his coffee. He looked up at the sky, sighed and got up to go and fetch some more. The night was far from over, and he had writing to do.

Popular posts from this blog

Something Relocated

Something Confided

A story about a bug...